Lingering, Lonely Callings (2004-05)
for Voice and Piano
Text by Elizabeth Kirschner
- Keep Me (for Marisa on her 24th birthday)
- Bearing Spring (for Arnold Rosner)
- Succor (for Elizabeth Kirschner)
- Yesterday (for Marisa, Christmas 2003)
- Humming Softly (for Marisa on her 23rd birthday)
- Lamentation (for Joshua K. Copeland)
- A Broken Prism (for Kate Maroney)
- Finale (for Amanda Forsythe)
Amanda Forsythe, soprano; Jeffrey Grossman, piano
Duration: 20 min.
Recorded on New Dawn: Song Cycles and Piano Music of Carson Cooman (2008)
Publisher: Musik Fabrik
Performance materials available from the publisher.
Lingering, Lonely Callings (2004–05) for voice and piano is a song cycle based on the poetry of American poet Elizabeth Kirschner (b. 1955). The cycle was assembled into a coherent narrative early in 2008, drawing on songs that were written individually during 2004 and 2005.
The cycle moves from love, light, spring, and brightness at the beginning towards loss, death, and darkness near the end. The final song, Finale, however, provides a glimmer of hope, amidst the sadness.